The tabbed pages (above) have the main content

Friday, April 29, 2016

More about Vision

[This builds on an earlier writing where I quoted Grandfather Stalking Wolf: "A man who is not living his Vision is living Death."]

I realize that I enjoy being knowledgeable when I am teaching class. This is ego of course but also something to build on. I am an Instructor, it is my role to have knowledge to impart. And the sort that interests me is not technical information because most of that is in a book and one can locate it, or absorb a lot through self-teaching. What matters to me are the somewhat hidden things which someone has to discover by experience, and which when passed on, give a perspective and save the person from going down the same blind alley. Communicating what doesn't work, and the subtleties of some things that do is important if people are to make progress. We shouldn't all waste time (and other commodities) re-doing the same things! It reminds me of a friend's story of why he became a Trainer. Well, now I am a Trainer, too! It might be a natural role as one gets older. Soldiers (employees) become Officers (managers) who become Generals (Trainers and planners, CEOs,  etc). This could seem like puffing myself up, except that what I teach is just some bits of Programming (no pun in 1010-did), and that not even very well - as I was reflecting yesterday in the Thinking Room.

So this is still about the Vision of belonging and being part of and having a role. It is just levels of Maslow's enormous pyramid-scheme, which dominates the skyline no matter where one lives. I feel safe knowing that some part of me (my contribution) will live forever entombed in the monument of Ego to the future. Perhaps that is just part of being Human (or human beings) so I am not going to fight that. But I won't roll myself up in it like a blanket and go back to sleep either. The question is: How to have a Vision without being a Subject? That is all.

This morning as I woke I had some sort of insight in to that (which I have forgotten). I came across what I wrote a month ago about Vision, and how at home I can have things however I want (because I live alone). OK, that is ego too, but it keeps me from having to re-visit some issues endlessly. As Dr. Bronner said, "Unless constructive-selfish ... like Mark Spitz..." So being that way is simply efficient, as long as I am not attached to the details (which would be, well, attachment. I am running out of parentheses.)

I need to combine efficiency when alone, with effectiveness when with others, and steer around the ego-boulders all the while. That only gets me started on the vision-journey, it doesn't even address where to go, or how. This might take a while... What is worth working toward?

No comments: